Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Morning...

I don’t remember what I was dreaming. I only remember the blaring of the alarm clock and the sudden absence of my husband from our bed. He began to rush around and I briefly entertained thoughts of getting up with him.

From my station under the blankets I could feel the bite of the cold morning air on my face and I just couldn’t stand the thought of tossing those covers aside. I knew the moment I did frigid air would wash over me and set my teeth to chattering like a wind up toy.

No, better to stay snuggled under my pile of blankets; maybe even drift back to sleep…

I heard Him whisper...

“You said you wanted to spend time with Me.”

It’s funny how even when clouded with sleep my brain can quickly calculate a plan to keep me in bed longer!

“Honey, Will you reset the alarm for me?”

“I’ll get up at 6:30!” I thought, “That way I can steal another hour of warmth and I’ll still be able to grab a few minutes of quiet time before the kids get up!” I wiggled further into the blankets satisfied with my plan.

Jon reset the alarm for me before gathering the rest of his things. “I’m running a little late so I won’t be able to take the dogs out.”

I stifled a groan. That meant I’d have to do it! Oh well, if he’s late I’ll have to do it whether I get up now or not.

“Okay” I mumbled. We ran through the usual exchange; “Don’t forget your sandwich, have a good day, I love you…” and he quietly shut the door.

As I lay there I heard him go into the bathroom. I shut my eyes and tried to will myself back to sleep, but instead I started thinking.

I thought of the things he needed to do yet before he left. His usual stuff, but today it would be a hassle because he was already running late.

I thought about how he gets up and leaves our warm bed everyday to take care of me and our children.

I thought about how he never complains, even when he comes home from a long hard day at work and still has chores to do at home.

I thought about the overtime he’s been working so he can take the day after Thanksgiving off because I want to go get our Christmas tree.

I started to feel a little guilty but the pull of my bed was still too strong. ‘Oh Lord!’ I prayed, ‘please help me to put myself aside so I can get up and bless him!’

With a sudden resolve I took a breath to brace myself and flung the covers aside. Before I could change my mind I threw on some sweats and headed for the kitchen. As I set to work collecting his things and pouring his coffee he came into the kitchen and stood watching me. I glanced up at him and could read the question in his eyes before he even asked it.

“What are you doing up? I thought you were tired?”

“You said you were late.” I said with a shiver.

The smile he gave me warmed me to my toes. It was a smile that said, “You have blessed me.”

Strong arms enveloped me and held me to his chest. “I love you” he whispered into my hair.

When he had gone, I got my Bible and spent some time with another. I felt the warmth of His presence as I heard Him whisper again to my heart…

“…you have blessed Me.”

Thank you Lord for giving me the strength to get up and serve You and my husband this morning. I am the one who was blessed.
 Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Bill & Glory said...

And now you have blessed me knowing I am not alone. Since Ulie was born I have made Bill nearly go into cardiac arrest a few times by making him an egg sandwich breakfast.

Glad to see you blogging again.

Glory

shannon said...

Oh, Fran. You made me cry. I really liked this.

I'm glad you're blogging again!

Sheryl said...

Fran, What a wonderful story and a good reminder. My husband and I both work. We even ride to work together (he drops me off). It such a blessing just knowing that we have jobs to go to! God is Good!

Refreshment in Refuge said...

You blessed me! Thanks for the reminder about putting myself aside.