Monday, March 13, 2006

Daddy's Home!


My little Gracie is almost two years old now and she is very adept at making herself heard. This little girl is into everything she can reach and even some things she can't! From the moment she wakes up to the moment she goes to sleep she is busy, busy, busy! She hops, she skips, she even gallops along like a little pony.

Her favorite things to say are, "No!", "Mine!", and "Bye, bye!"

She wants to be just like the big kids and she loves everything to do with music. You can't keep her attention for long if there is anything with a rhythm playing. She can't help herself, she has to dance. Her little head will start bobbing back and forth, then her feet lift in time to the music. Soon, her rear end is swaying back and forth. The rest of us can't help it, we giggle endlessly (which makes her dance all the more!)

There is only one thing that will stop this girlie in her tracks; the sound of Daddy's footsteps on the front porch.

As soon as she realizes that he's home whatever she had been doing is forgotten and chubby little arms are flung into the air. She flies to the front door screaming, "Daddy!!!!!!" (Only it sounds more like Da-yee!)

As soon as he manages to get the door open without smacking her with it Daddy is expected to drop everything and swoop that little chunk into his arms. A task he is only too willing to accomplish.

I love to watch them together; he holds her close and breathes in her scent (a mixture of baby shampoo, peanut butter and possibly the deodorant she tried to eat earlier). She lays her little head on his shoulder and strokes his hair with pudgy fingers. His strength is tempered by the tenderness he feels for her and she knows his arms are a safe place.

So focused on each other they forget that anyone else exists, they both close their eyes and relish this moment of bliss. They are the picture of contentment.

~

Though I am no longer a toddler there are days I think I am as active as one. There are meals to prepare, rooms to clean, laundry to wash and put away. A busy husband who needs my help and support. Four kids; three of which I homeschool while trying to keep the fourth occupied. Grace is screaming, the girls are fighting and Josh is mad that somebody broke his Lego creation. Jon needs help finding something he misplaced and there are many chores to be done before bedtime.


The world is calling and I am tired.

Sometimes, I am too busy to hear His footsteps on the front porch. I get so wrapped up running around doing things that I forget to drop everything, fling my arms up and run to Him.

Oh, but when I do...

...He gathers me close and wraps strong arms around me. I rest in the safety of His embrace and I find peace and contentment.


I could stay here forever.

"The voice of my beloved! Behold, he comes leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills. My beloved is like a gazelle or a young stag. Behold, he stands behind our wall; He is looking through the windows, Gazing through the lattice. My beloved spoke, and said to me; "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. The fig tree puts forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grapes give a good smell. Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away!" Song of Solomon 2:8-13





3 comments:

Cora said...

Fran - what a great post!

I just love your Gracie and smile each time she sees her dad and runs to him. I smiled the whole time I was reading this post.

Too often, I, too, find myself too busy to run to my Father. Thank you for the reminder that I need to run there more.

I agree with you, when I do, I could stay there forever.

shannon said...

I loved this, Fran. Having watched the "slow motion run through the daisies" she did when she spotted Jon at church Wednesday, I could just picture his homecoming.

And, as usual, GREAT application!

Nancy said...

Even better with the picture!!! Great post.