Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Hide me

I was studying Isaiah chapter 30 this week for our women's group when I was captivated by these two verses:

For thus says the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel:
"In returning and rest you shall be saved;
In quietness and confidence shall be your strength."
But you would not,
And you said, "No, for we will flee on horses"--
Therefore you shall flee!
And, "We will ride on swift horses"--
Therefore those who pursue you shall be swift! Isaiah 30:15-16


Now, I'm not a hunter personally but my husband is and on occasion he will hunt birds. Pheasant can often be found in large fields where they will hide among the tall grass to find protection from their enemies. When they stay hidden, they are safe.

I imagine that this is a very hard thing to remember when the feet of the enemy begin to draw near.

I don't know if you're familiar with pheasant hunting techniques but the typical method is for several men to walk abreast through the field. As they walk the birds are scared into flying, making themselves an easy target for the hunters. They forget all about the safety of the grass and in their panic they put themselves right in harms way.

How many times do we do the same thing? Instead of trusting in our hiding place, the Lord, we try to flee instead. The verses in Isaiah remind me that resting in His strength is where I will find my deliverance. My comfort comes not from fleeing from my enemies but in surrendering to the Lord.

It is when we panic and take flight that we put ourselves out in the path of danger and make ourselves an easy target. I can relate to those Israelites who wanted to flee and make alliances with other countries; we don't seem to feel safe unless we're doing something. The people that Isaiah was addressing didn't just panic, they deliberately ignored the word of the Lord to them and laid other plans. They sought to protect themselves and refused to trust in the Almighty, but to truly be safe we need to take refuge and let Him be our defense.


Psalm 91:1-6 says,

"He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust."

Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler
And from the perilous pestilence.
He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;

His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday."

Abide in Him, then when the feet of the enemy draw near you won't be tempted to flee because you've made Him your dwelling place. The person who trusts in God is the one who lives close to Him.

3 comments:

Bill & Glory said...

Fran,

This is quite nearly your best writing that I have read, at least! I can so easily relate to your thoughts but the verses gently coax me back into my hiding place in His love.

Thank you for these thoughts to ponder.

Glory

Susannah said...

A beautiful photograph!

Anonymous said...

I REALLY like the book of "Psalms"!

I just found your blog...if you stop by mine at http://jessicaslilcorner.tz4.com anytime soon...you'll see my kids in the adventure of planting their very first vegetable garden!!! LOL
Hope that you can find the time to come by my blog site and please post a comment when you do...I like for those who visit my site to let me know they've been there :) (you will need to 1. register (FREE), on the right side of my site before you post...this is just to make your visits more personalized, etc. and then 2. click "Leave Your Comments" back at the regular part of my site on any comments that interests you, and then 3. "Post Reply" once the comments page comes up and type your comment).

I'll try to visit your site regularly and hope that you visit mine as well! :) God Bless! :)