Monday, April 10, 2006

one, two, three, dip...

As I often do when I hear his truck tires crunching along the gravel road, I went out to the front yard to greet him. I waited patiently as he got out and put his things onto the hood before turning to give me a hug. As usual, he opened his arms to embrace me and I gladly came to him.

But then he did something completely unexpected; he dipped me!

Yes, that's right, he dipped me. Swooped me right off my feet, twisted around and bent low to the ground, looked into my startled eyes and after all that grand swooping simply said, "Hi."

"Hi!" I breathlessly replied. I felt completely helpless dangling there supported only by his strong arms. A quick kiss and I was back on my feet as fast as I'd left them. He gathered his things and flashed a michevious grin at my stunned face.

I'm sure that first dip didn't look as romantic as it might sound because I remember flinging my leg out and wildly clutching at his shoulders. It probably looked more like a drowning woman grasping at a life preserver than a graceful dip! I hate to admit it but I just didn't trust him not to drop me!

He has dipped me many times since that first one and though I am usually still caught off guard by the suddenness of it, I no longer flail about. I have learned to trust that his strength will hold me fast. I have learned not to struggle but to just lie peacefully in his arms, knowing that I will be upright again in a moment. I have learned to enjoy the ride. When he dips me, all I can see is his face looking lovingly into mine and the world falls away for those few beautiful moments.

As I reflect on the gift that I have in my husband I can see that there are bigger, stronger arms than his holding me. Whenever life has knocked me off my feet the arms of the Lord have been there to catch me and set me upright again. When an old hurt rises like a Pheonix from the ashes of my memory His arms encircle and protect me. He whispers reassuring words to my heart that soothe and calm.

There is something wonderful about learning to just lie peacefully and know that I am in the care of one stronger than myself.


"If I say, "My foot slips,"
Your mercy, O Lord wil hold me up.
In the multitude of my anxieties within me,
Your comforts delight my soul."
Psalm 94:18-19

3 comments:

Matthew O. Smith said...

Thanks for sharing your "dipping" experience and thoughts. I would like to quote you in my blog, if you don't mind:
Romantic Tips for Married Couples

Fran said...

I would be honored! Thank you.

Bill & Glory said...

Aw, Fran! I got butterflies remembering being dipped, like that... *sigh*

I am so thankful for God's strong arms to catch me in mid-air.