Sunday, October 14, 2007

Willow Tree Wedding Cake

Well, it's finally done! Elaina and Peter are now Mr. and Mrs. Scougle! I'm so happy for those two and what a beautiful wedding! I do hope though that someone caught the ringbearer's antics on film. What a little ham! If you missed it, he was up there squinting at the audience and scolding the flower girl for something. (I never did figure that one out.) The funniest part though was when he took his two fingers and did the "I'm watching you!" thing (you know, when you point the two fingers at your eyes then at the person you're watching.) Hmph, glad it wasn't my kid!

Oh wait, it was! That boy! lol On one hand I wanted to throttle him (I am the mom afterall!) On the other hand I was trying hard not to giggle! (Again, I am his mom!)


He was so cute (I'm a little biased but whatever! :) )

Okay, now for the cake. Peter and Elaina are diehard chocoholics if their cake is any indicator. They wanted a chocolate cake with bittersweet ganache filling. We had a few changes to the outside since they initially wanted ganache flooding the tops of the cakes. They changed their minds though and went with a bittersweet Italian Meringue buttercream for the top and a milk chocolate frosting for the sides. To get this effect I frosted the cake upside down.

No really, I did! I made a template for the size cake I was frosting then taped it to a sturdy surface. Then I taped a piece of parchment paper over that so I could see the template (a big cirlcle.) I filled in the circle with bittersweet frosting and built the cake on top of that, upside down. When I was done with all the cake layers I frosted it with milk chocolate and chilled it for awhile before flipping it over. Then I peeled off the parchment paper and Voila! A two tone cake that actually looked decent.

When we were planning it I realized that the only cake stand I had wasn't going to look good with all that chocolate since it was silver. So I asked my darling husband if he would build me something that would complement what I had in mind. Being the nice guy he is, he said yes and made this beautiful creation:


It was so chilly outside that the cake was pretty firm. It was a little difficult to cut because of that and the slices didn't all look very pretty but they tasted okay I think. Elaina liked it anyway and that's really all that mattered, right? She told me that when she tasted it she thought she'd died and gone to heaven. And I know she loved how it looked. Mission accomplished! Phew!


Okay, I posted two pictures because I wanted you to be able to see the tops of the cake but I also wanted you to be able to see how pretty Jon's cake stand looked. Oh, and those are truffles around the base of each tier.

9 comments:

suzzanne said...

The cake was beautiful and delicious! Sadly, I didn't pay attention to the ringbearer very much. I was too busy watching Peter and all of his expressions. That man wears his heart on his sleeve!

Cora said...

Your son was so adorable! At one point, I caught him scratching himself. All in all, he did a very good job!! You should be proud.

And the cake. . .what can I say? Typical Fran. Awesome cake all the way around. And the stand is perfect. Your hubby is a keeper!

Missed seeing you today, but I understand you had take the day off. I'm excited to have my Fran back :)

Kim said...

This was one of the most gorgeous cakes I've ever seen. It looked amazing with the Promise Willow Tree couple and cake stand - so perfect! There was so much chocolate in it that it almost tasted like a candy bar. YUM! You're living up to your last name. ;)

Kim said...

Whoops. LMBO Sorry I didn't realize you enabled comment moderation so I posted a few times. lol

Fran said...

lol, Sorry Kim! I had to enable it because I kept getting comment SPAM about how the New Testament is evil and I'm evil for teaching it to my children. Being the evil queen that I am I decided I would censor all future posts that come to Heathland! ;P

Kim said...

Ah, yeah I got that one too. I didn't read the whole thing. Yuck.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Josh felt like he had so much experience since this wasn't the first wedding he has been in!;P I want a cake like this for me-for no special reason except I want to just wallow in it and taste bite after bite with my eyes closed pretending there is no other care in the world. Erin got Red Velvet cake for her birthday today, because I can't do what you do...

Kari Kelly said...

Fran, I caught the "eye to eye" that little Josh did while on the alter. I about cracked up. But, oh that cake!
Girl, I've never had a wedding cake taste SO good...and your husband is quite the server. The way he came around to all the tables with the cake slices explaining each kind. I didn't know men knew things about chocolate like "ganache" and "bittersweet". He had it down. The cake stand is beautiful and went along with the lovely cake (and decorator!) Nicely done!

Sylvia said...

Franny, you outdid yourself! The cake was superb! Yes, I had some anyway! I'm so glad you took a picture of the stand, I had no idea that John made it. It is gorgeous! You guys are a pretty awesome couple!