Wednesday, May 28, 2008

May Birthdays

Well, I had two cake opportunities this month because Jon's birthday is the 13th and Gracie's is the 15th. For Jon's I just made a little 6" cake for our family. He asked for a caramel apple cake so the cake itself was a yellow butter cake. The first layer was moistened with apple cider syrup with butterscotch caramel spread over it. The middle layer was again moisted with apple cider syrup but then I sauteed some apples in brown sugar and butter and spread those on when it had cooled. The top layer was the syrup and butterscotch again. Then I frosted it with buttercream and topped it off with more caramel.

It was definately a diet buster but it tasted pretty darn good if I do say so myself! :) Here's a pic of the sliced cake (note the gooey caramel dripping down...)


Now Gracie's cake was a little bit larger. We had a few friends over to share it with us and did a very low key birthday for her. From the moment I got a certain cake book she had her heart set on a Tinkerbell cake (only she pronounces it "Tinklebell") In the book it was blue and purple but this being Gracie we had to change it to pink. It was a fun cake to make and she loved it.

It was a yellow cake with strawberry moistening syrup, a thin layer of buttercream and sliced fresh strawberries on the bottom layer. The middle layer again had the syrup with a vanilla meringue disk and a thin layer of buttercream. The top layer was a repeat of the first. Then the whole thing was frosted with more buttercream. I liked that one too and now I need to take up jogging or something! :)

Here's Gracie's cake:




3 comments:

Cora said...

Wonderful and delicious oh great cake master :)

Kari Kelly said...

Fran, Your cakes are always beautiful.

Kim said...

Jon's cake picture didn't show up, but it sounded delicious! And you know I LOVE the "Tinklebell" cake! :) YUM!