Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Josh!


Today Joshua is a manly 9 years old! The last year he will be single digits. Today he will say "It's my birthday!" but tomorrow he'll probably be telling people he's "almost 10!"

Isn't it ironic that when you're a kid all you want is to be older but when you're older you wish you were a bit younger? Or at least that you felt a bit younger?

When I was a kid I hated nap time and bed time, now I long for it! When did, "Do you want to go to bed early?" become a promise instead of a threat?

Or how about time out? "Do you need a time out?"

YES! Please, oh please send me to my room!

We have a few birthday traditions around here that we'll be doing for Josh today. One is you get to choose dinner on your birthday. It can be whatever the birthday person wants.

What did Josh choose? Well his dad can rock a barbecue so it's no surprise that he chose bbq'd ribs! I think the Lord gave Jon a gift too because the sun is out and that will make his job much more pleasant. Nothing like barbecuing in the rain (or snow! He's done both.) In addition to the ribs Josh requested potato chips and brussel sprouts sauteed in a little bit of olive oil.

He's a weird kid but then I love brussel sprouts too so he comes by it naturally. (Did I just admit I'm weird? Don't answer that!)

Another tradition we have is they pick the type of cake they want and I build it right up to the basic coat of frosting. Then they pick a couple of colors and I set up the frosting bags and tips. They decorate their own cake however they want it. Lots of fun for them and I don't have to do it. :) I started this because they keep wanting these big elaborate cakes when they have a party but they also get one on their birthday. I really don't have it in me to do the whole production twice and they always want in on the action. This way we're both happy. :)

My very favorite birthday tradition is one we started a few years ago. We all take turns praying a blessing on the birthday person. Jon starts it since he's the Dad and head of the family, then it goes to me and on around the table until everyone has had a chance to pray. I love hearing my husband pray blessings on his children! He prays for their character and integrity, for wisdom and discernment, that the Lord would reveal Himself to them and they would seek and serve the Lord all the days of their lives and whatever else comes to his mind. It's really beautiful and I think the kids treasure it as much as we do. We all get our turn but my favorite is listening to Jon. :)

It took us a year before I became pregnant with Josh and during that time I prayed a lot for a son. I remember being a little bit discouraged at one point and then giving my desire for a boy up to the Lord. I decided to leave it in His hands and be content with the two daughters I already had if that's all He wanted to give me. I finished praying that morning then opened my bible to Psalm 127:

Unless the Lord builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the Lord guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain.
It is vain for you to rise up early,
To sit up late,
To eat the bread of sorrows;
For so He gives His beloved sleep.

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one's youth.
Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them;
They shall not be ashamed,
But shall speak with their enemies in the gate.

Verses 3-5 really comforted me that day and I knew I was going to have a son. I believed it was a promise from God. I found out I was pregnant on Father's Day. It was pretty cool to tell Jon he was going to be a daddy again on that day. :) Later an ultrasound revealed that I was in fact having a boy and Jon was ecstatic!

Later, when I was in the hospital after having had my son our pastor at the time came to visit us. Jon had gone for something to eat so it was just me and Josh when he and his wife came in. We chatted for a couple of minutes then he pulled out his bible. He told me he'd been praying for us that morning and that the Lord had given him a verse for us; Psalm 127:3-5. He had no idea what that meant to me but the Lord Himself had just reminded me of His promise and I was so blessed!

Nine years later, though at times I am vexed and perplexed by this boy, I am still blessed. I don't understand his need to side kick everything in his path (and we're working on curtailing that!) I swear the boy has an entire sound effects department in his head and he drives me nuts at times but he is also charming, sweet, compassionate and has a definite sense of justice.

His name is Joshua and it means "The Lord is salvation." May he always remember that.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Happy Belated Birthday Josh!! :)

What a sweet post, Fran. I love all of your neat family traditions- they are so special! Your kids are definitly going to treasure those memories. :)