Thursday, June 30, 2005

And the Oscar goes to....

She had wanted to do it for some time but it hadn’t worked out until now. Finally though, the time had come and she was up to the task. She gathered the items she would need and set to work. She cracked, she poured, she scrambled and she cooked. Oh, what a breakfast this would be!

“Juice!” she thought. The crowning touch! There was no beautiful tray to serve it on so she improvised and used a cutting board. Small hands proudly bore her carefully crafted gift down the hall and into my room where she presented her offering to me. The brightness of her smile rivaled the sun. I was touched and deeply blessed by her thoughtfulness.

I was grossed out by the under mixed, runny eggs and ‘so tart I may never pry my lips apart again’ lemonade that was to be my breakfast!

Of course I didn’t say that! Instead I thanked her and told her what a good job she had done and what a blessing she is to me. She stood there looking at me expectantly; waiting for me to eat.

My mind frantically searched for a way to avoid eating that yellow and white pile of slime that was grinning up at me from the plate. Thinking quickly I gestured toward the computer and said, “I’m just going to finish this up since I’m in the middle of something, and then I will eat my eggs. Why don’t you go get your breakfast, okay?”

I took a sip of lemonade to show my sincerity. My lips puckered so much that my cheeks cramped but she saw it as my desire for a kiss. A quick peck and off she dashed to get a bowl of cheerios.

I went back to work and tried to ignore the eggs that were mocking me from the blue trimmed white plate that I used to think was pretty! I would still have to eat them however, I had a plan. I had set them by the open window so they could get icy cold while I finished what I was doing!

When enough time had passed, (and I had given some of the lemonade to my son) I wandered nonchalantly out to the kitchen.

“How were the eggs Mommy?”

“Well, while I was working they got cold so I’m just going to warm them up and then I will eat them right away!” I said cheerfully.

Then I nuked them until they resembled one of those hard rubber balls that bounce all over the house when you drop them! Yummy! Not a hint of slime anywhere! I sat at the table to eat them in front of her and made appreciative noises all the way through.

“Those were fabulous Arielle!”

“Great!” she says, “What should I make for lunch?!”

Peanut butter actually looks alluring after facing those eggs first thing in the morning!


~

How many times have I brought the spiritual equivalent of runny eggs and sour lemonade to my heavenly Father? It’s probably a lot more than I think! Yet He has never once turned my offering away. Like the loving parent He is, He receives my gift with joy knowing it was my desire to bless Him.

If it is your heart to bless God, don’t be afraid that your gift won’t be good enough. Don’t look around to see the other things laying on the altar and start comparing yours unfavorably to them. It’s your heart He wants. Whatever is in your hand becomes the most precious jewel, the purest gold when it’s given from a devoted heart.

When presented in love an old cutting board, a plate of runny eggs and a tall glass of sour lemonade suddenly becomes a sumptuous banquet on the finest china, a goblet of the clearest crystal and a silver tray so pure it dazzles the eye.

“For the Lord takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the humble with salvation.” Psalm 149:4

4 comments:

Cora said...

Fran:
What a beatiful post! God bless you for finding a way to eat those eggs!

Fran said...

Thanks Cora! (Do you suppose I could consider that the good deed you talked about in your post? :)

Bill & Glory said...

You are so much kinder and braver than me! I'm so glad you actually ended up enjoying your breakfast and coming back here with some wisdom as well.

Glory

shannon said...

Oopsie! I posted that accidentally as Melissa (I've been doing some work on her blog), but it's really me!