Monday, July 23, 2007

Another Cake...

Friday night Jon and I went and listened to a friend from church as he played an outdoor venue in Marysville with his brother. The guy can sing! He's not too shabby on the guitar either! Then his daughter got up and sang a couple of songs with him and Wow! She can really sing too! Makes me sound like a gerbil in a blender by comparison! :P

I have another friend who can paint these beautiful pictures that make you want to live in the canvas. My mom can quilt like you wouldn't believe and my husband does amazing things with wood. They are all very artistic with what they do.

It may not seem like an artistic talent but baking is what I love to do and I love to decorate cake even more. I love the entire process; from mixing up the ingredients to frosting and decorating to watching someone I love take a bite and roll their eyes in ecstasy at how it tastes. Every opportunity to bring a cake, I do. Not because I want to show off (I'm not good enough for that! ) but because I want to decorate as much as possible and not gain 500 pounds!

With that in mind here is the Hawaiian shirt cake I made for my friends Chris and Cora. (Chris was ordained and Hawaiian shirts are kind of the unofficial uniform of Calvary Chapel pastors so I thought it would be fun to make him one). I also did cupcakes with the Calvary dove on them. I had a lot of fun making all of these so thanks Chris and Cora for letting me. :)




And the cupcakes...



4 comments:

Cora said...

Fran, your ordination cake was spectacular (and it looked pretty good, too). Chris and I were very touched that you took the time to make a special day even more special and did all that baking for us.

Let me tell you something, baking and decorating cakes like that is an artistic talent that you have surpassed!!

You can bake me a cake any time you want (chocolate raspberry is the preferred flavor now). After all, do we really need a special occasion to have cake?

Fran said...

I love you guys Cora! It was a blessing for me to be able to have a little part in such a special day. And I'll bake you a cake anytime you want! (Well, after this wedding is over anyway. lol)

Kim said...

Okay that cake cracks me up. How cute! :) Great idea, Fran. You are very talented.

suzzanne said...

Fran, I have tried decorating a cake and I appreciate how much artistic talent one must have to be successful. (I mostly am not successful at it, I only have 1 trick up my sleave.) The ordination cake was wonderful and the cupcakes were great, too!