Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Arielle's Birthday Cake...

Well, Arielle is 11 now! Now we've got a teen and a tween!

I was telling Jon that it's a good thing I have some time to practice before she gets married because the birthday cake she planned was so elaborate I'm a little frightened about what her wedding cake might be!

She wanted three tiers (the original would have fed 150 people so we scaled that down a bit!) She wanted it to be vanilla butter cake with pink basket weave on each tier and rope trim around the edges. For the filling she wanted torted layers with vanilla moistening syrup, buttercream and sliced strawberries for the top and bottom filling layer. For the middle filling layer it was more buttercream (thin layers) and vanilla meringue disks! (Can this girl plan a cake or what!?)

When I put it together it got a little wonky because the meringue and berries weren't uniform in size and thickness so my basketweave was a little off too. I made up some Royal Icing drop flowers and buttercream roses and glued them on to try to make it look better. I wasn't thrilled with the final product but she sure was! That's all that matters I guess.

And Gracie loved it!! When I opened the fridge to show her she covered her mouth with her hands and gasped, "Oh Mommy!" Did I mention it was pink? lol

Here it is (and no matter what it looked like it tasted pretty dang good!)


6 comments:

Cora said...

Listen, girlie, that thing tasted just as wonderful as it looked :)

Fran said...

Okay Miss Sassy!! lol

Anonymous said...

Fran, I love you, you crack me up. I love your blog, I wish I could have seen Gracie's face when she saw the cake. Next time we need a special cake, I'm having Arielle plan it!

suzzanne said...

I love it! Is there some left for the rest of us to try it?

Kim said...

I didn't think I'd commented on this post until I saw the "kim said..." comment. But I don't think that's me. lol So here's mine:

OH MY WORD - that is SUCH a gorgeous cake!! Girl you are one talented mama! Love ya. :)

Fran said...

lol, mystery Kim is my sister in law! So, Kim U., you're not losing your mind! :)