Sunday, July 29, 2007

It's only cake...

I've been planning and working on this wedding cake for a couple of months and this past week I was pretty much immersed in it. I'd be working on some aspect of it, start thinking ahead to what I still needed to do yet and quickly get overwhelmed. I finally told Jon, "When I start to freak out over this cake would you please remind me that it is only a cake?"
That's how I made it through.

It's only cake...

Friday night was the rehearsal for Saturday's wedding. By the time we got home and into bed it was around midnight but I already had the cakes all frosted, decorated and waiting in the refrigerator to be loaded up and assembled.

Saturday morning we were up at 6 AM getting ready, loading the car and driving off to North Bend. When we got there I found out that the pearls the bride had wanted on her cake had all been used up on the flower arrangements. I also discovered that apparently nobody had ordered flowers for the cake!

It's only cake...

Soooooo, I had to fake it! I was worried and nervous about it but I figured if I didn't do it the cake would look a bit naked and the bride wouldn't have what she'd envisioned. So fake it I did!

After it was all done I kept going over and looking at it because I couldn't believe I'd made it! lol

I can't tell you how much I prayed about this thing. It may seem silly because it was only a cake but it was important to the bride and groom and it was important to me that it be as pretty as I could make it. I was reminded through this whole experience that the Lord is into the details of my life; and my cake. I seriously prayed over every detail of this thing; from the scroll work, to the taste, to the flowers that I didn't know how to do.

And He answered.

The bride told me it was perfect; exactly what she'd envisioned.

There is no better compliment than that. :)

In the grand scheme of things it really was only cake but I asked the Lord to help me anyway and He did. Nothing is too silly or small for Him to care about. How comforting that I can ask Him to partner with me on something like that and know He will. Whatever He asks me to put my hand to I can be reassured that He will come along side me and give me what I need to accomplish it well.

Drumroll please...



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Fran! Your cake was absolutely wonderful! We have had so many comments about how wondeful it was and others want to hire you. So many people said it was the best cake they ever tasted! I love you so much!

Fran said...

Thanks Kimmie! I had a lot of fun making it. I love you too!

suzzanne said...

It looks beautiful! You did an awesome jobe!

Cora said...

Well. . .there it is. How could I have missed it? You did a wonderful job. It looks spectacular! Fake it? I am so sure. You and God do good work together.

And I am sure it tasted fabulous!

Kari Kelly said...

Fran, It's absolutely beautiful. And apparently delicious. Great job!

Kim said...

That cake is GORGEOUS! Makes me want to get married again so you can make one for me. ;)

zabseb!

Nancy said...

Fran,

The cake is so beautiful! I just love the scroll work.

It has been awhile since I have been here, all of your cakes are amazing. The scrolls and the basket weave look like they would be very challenging.

The cake for Chris and Cora was delish... I am available for testing if you get sick of all that cake :)