Monday, July 25, 2005

A tip (or two!)

My two oldest are at camp this week so I'm a little short on time. When they are gone I am reminded of (and quit impressed at) how much they do to help around here. For example, I have to do the dishes, laundry, sweep, vacuum and entertain the two little ones (among other things.) All stuff I used to do regularly when they were younger, but as they have grown Jessica and Arielle have taken over some of these responsiblities. They are especially helpful with the baby (as in, I haven't yet had a shower today because they aren't here to watch her! I just put her down for a nap though so I'll get one soon!) They also cook simple dinners and Jessica bakes the cookies for her dad's lunches.

I know some might say that I ask to much of them but I think it's important for all of my kids to learn 1). that they are an important part of this family and their contributions are valued, 2). the world doesn't actually revolve around them and they are expected to contribute and 3). they need to learn to take care of themselves and others. Being a servant is an essential part of not only family life, but a life pleasing to God. (There are more than three things that I think are important but that's all I could come up with on short notice!) :)

I need to go take a quick shower while I can. I didn't really intend to blog about this but since I did let me just say don't neglect the training of your kids. They will not die if you tell them no or give them responsiblity and expect them to fullfill it. It takes a whole lot of work (and we're very far from the finish line!) but it's worth it. Even though we have struggles my kids are a blessing to me. One of my aims in parenting them is that they would be a blessing to others as well.

Okay, enough lecturing. It's hot and the fruitflies are abundant (and irritating!) Here's a little tip from the Dollar Stretcher e-zine on how to get rid of those pesky little critters (without whipping out the vaccuum!) I'm going to go shower now!

Fruit Fly Trap
Regarding getting rid of "fruit flies," I learned this tip from the local agriculture extension office website. It worked great for me. Put some kitchen garbage that attracts fruitflies (wet compost materials like melon rinds, egg shells,spoiled food, etc.) in a plastic bag close to the problem area. Leave it open for up to half an hour. When you come back, simply tie the bag closed and throw it away. Repeat if necessary. This really gets rid of them in a hurry. Sara M.

4 comments:

Corry said...

I agree, helping out is being part of the family and the responsibility that comes with it will only help them grow. It will benefit them in their lives.

God's Grace.

Bill & Glory said...

This is what we tell Elizabeth quite often. Just the other day Bill called us all into the bathroom and asked Elizabeth how many people she saw in the mirror. "Four..." she answered. "And how many are able to do housework and chores?" he added. "Three" she responded. I know that she will understand and appreciate us making her get involved in housekeeping someday. But I do miss her when she's out with friends or having 1:1 Daddy time.

Glory

Nancy said...

Fran,

I do not have any kids, but if I did, they would be raised with the same values and respect that you are teaching to your children.

As an outsider, I have observed children thinking that everything is owed to them and it should be handed to them. That is not how I was raised. Things need to be earned and respect is included in that.

Take your shower and have a great day!!

shannon said...

I'm with you, Fran. It didn't bother me to teach the kids how to do laundry and run the dishwasher. With all the other activities we're involved with (ministry and kids' things), everyone has to pitch in or our house would fall apart. It's good for them to learn to serve ... after all, being a servant is what we aspire to.