Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Checking In

Well, I keep intending to post something but so far it hasn't happened. I caught that nasty cold so I'm feeling pretty crummy at the moment. I've also been busy getting my Mom's sourdough recipe collection typed into my computer. She's been collecting these recipes her entire life so you can imagine the volume! And they're almost all handwritten. I don't know how she's been able to find what she wanted all these years because it's just a big jumble of papers. I need to get all of those in before her visit in July so that hasn't left me a whole lot of time. (Let's not talk about the fact that I've had them for almost a year!)

I have been writing in my notebook everyday though so I will flip through it and see if there is anything blog worthy in there. (I'm sure there will be lots to tell you next week because we're going camping this weekend).

For now though here is a recipe from my Mom's collection.

SOURDOUGH ROCKY ROAD LOAF
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup sourdough
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tbs veg. oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup miniature marshmallows
3 to 4 cups flour

Scald milk then cool to almost room temperature. Sprinkle yeast over warm water and let sit 5 minutes to dissolve.

Combine sourdough, milk, yeast, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, egg and oil til smooth. Stir in enough flour to make a medium stiff dough (no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl). Turn out and knead 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turn once to grease top; cover and let rise until double (1 to 2 hours).

In a small bowl combine 1/3 cup sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.

When dough is doubled punch it down. Roll out to 14"x10" rectangle. Spread with butter. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the dough. Then sprinkle with nuts, chocolate chips and marshmallows. Beginning on a long edge roll dough jelly roll style. Place seam side down with ends folded to center in a greased pan. (I'm assuming a loaf pan here but I haven't made this recipe yet so you may have to use a larger size). Cover, let rise util double (1-2 hours).

Bake at 375 degrees 40 - 50 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes then remove to wire rack.

Like I said, I haven't made this one yet but it sounded good! If you make it let me know how it turns out.

1 comment:

Bill & Glory said...

Bill is a big fan of sourdough recipes. His dad passed on several recipes to him and they've always had a special place in our recipe collection. We even inherited the crock that "Ted" used to make and store his sourdough starter. His dad passed away several years ago so it's nice to have little things like sourdough to remember him by.

Glory