Friday, May 20, 2005

New Plan...

I’m sitting at my computer gazing out the window at a slowly awakening world. The birds are chirping, a few frogs are still singing and a soft breeze rustles through the new spring leaves. Overhead I hear the lazy drone of a plane. I feel peaceful and content. Then I hear the melodious voice of my darling son…..

“I THOUGHT WE WERE SUPPOSED TO FLUSH THE DANG TOILET!!!”

And so another day begins…

That is how my day started and it has been pretty much down hill from there. (Although I was laughing when he said that!) I had planned to write some wonderful thing about contentment and counting my blessings in the everyday chaos of life. I’m sure it would have been my best yet! ;)


But it’s not going to happen.

My kids are grumpy and they’re trying to pull me over to the dark side! I have begun to snap back at them and I don't like the direction we are headed. So my plan for the day is this; we are going to wear our jammies all day, we’re going to lie around on the floor playing games and watching movies. We’ll light a candle or two because that’s what we do on dark rainy days and if it begins to thunder and lightening again we will grin at each other with excitement. Maybe we’ll even bring out the blankets and make the living room into a giant tent. Later we’ll probably bake some cookies and I will let them drink tea out of my special tea cups.

When the day is over and the laundry is still not put away and the dishes aren’t done I will choose not to worry about it because more important things were accomplished. My children will have spent a day doing all the stuff they love with someone who adores them.


Life is fleeting and I don't want to miss a moment. I have to go now, the popcorn is ready.

5 comments:

Kim said...

That sounds like a blast! Your kids will have such fun memories. I have this plaque on my wall (no, not on my teeth) that reads,
Cleaning & scrubbing
can wait for tomorrow...
for babies grow up,
we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs;
dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby,
and babies don't keep.

Fran said...

I've always liked that one!

Bill & Glory said...

Well, we had a tiolet leak, a diaper fiasco, and other domestic issues to deal with. Otherwise your plan might have been a great idea here too. Hopefully I can salvage this evening before the kids have to go to bed.

shannon said...

Good for you, Fran. But you don't have to come up with that elaborate story to justify you wanting to spend a day in your jammies ... :) Thank you for dressing for church today.

Fran said...

You're welcome Shannon! Of course if our church ever changes the dress code all bets are off! I'm just to rebellious for pantyhose! I would probably show up in my jammies as a protest. ;)