Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Not Good Enough...

Am I the only one who ever feels not good enough?

I'm reading all of these books right now about being a better parent, a better wife, a godly woman and a spiritual leader. Not to mention a model homeschooler. I'm told to follow these easy steps and do those formula's and my children will be perfect! If I just remember to do this thing and act that way my marriage will be fabulous! If I'm organized just so and have exactly that type of devotional routine I will be the Proverbs 31 woman! Don't get me wrong, these are excellent books with a lot of good practical information.

But I read them and see how far short I fall.

And I think I will never be able to live up to all these expectations.

When did I stop resting and start striving? Trying to do all these things in my own power is like trying to shave my legs without taking the cap off the razor. I keep scraping and scraping hoping to make some progress but nothing happens except my arm gets tired!

And right now, I am tired. I picked a fight with my husband in the parking lot when we were supposed to be at a parenting class (that we never made it to!) I snapped at my kids quite a few times yesterday and today isn't starting out a whole lot different. Organization for me consists of several piles (although in my defense I do know what's in them. Well, mostly.)

I have forgotten that I can't do anything on my own. But there is one through whom I can do all things, because He is my strength.

I do not have to be the perfect wife or the perfect mother. I can be a little disorganized and have to many dog hairs on my rug because I didn't get around to vacuuming yet. If my devotional time consists of just being with the One who loves me and listening to Him then the other things will come into focus. He is good and He loves me just the way I am.

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for you souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. Mathew 11:28-30

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh I needed this one. Wonderful post Fran.