Friday, May 13, 2005

Sacrifices....

Yesterday I showed you a scene out of my childhood. I wish I could say it was an isolated incident but it wasn't. It probably won't come as a surprise that I turned into a bit of a control freak over the years. The idea of surrendering my heart to anyone (especially God) was frightening to say the least. I had built high thick walls to keep people out. I was adept at pushing people away and when they were gone I would mope because I'd been abandoned.

But there was one man who wouldn't move when I pushed him. There was one man who refused to leave. I said hurtful things to him, he said sweet things to me. I tried to run from him, he came after me. I pushed him away, he drew me in. Over time my walls started to crumble. No matter how frantically I tried to rebuild them, he had become skilled at tearing them down.

Slowly I began to trust him. No matter what happened he was steadfast. He never wavered in his love for me. Never once did he threaten me or try to hurt me. No matter what I gave, I received relentless love in return.

We had a child and all I wanted was to be able to stay home with her. He traded his brand new shiny truck for an old beater car. I got to stay home.

We had another child and I was sad because there was no money for Christmas. He sold his prized hunting rifle and bought us gifts.

When he is near I feel like a priceless, delicate heirloom; a precious treasure that he has been given to guard.

He has shown me one greater than himself. He has shown me Christ.

That man is my husband and today is his birthday, but I am the one who has received the gift. Happy Birthday honey, I love you.

"Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." Ephesians 5:1-2



3 comments:

Bill & Glory said...

Happy Birthday to your DH, Fran. You be good to that man and give him enchiladas with guacamole and bean dip if he wants it! No, wait, that would be my DH. Never mind! :)

Fran said...

Mine would be more like cinnamon rolls and manicotti!

Kim said...

How very sweet, Fran! Wonderful tribute to your dh. Happy Birthday to him! :)