Friday, May 27, 2005

Off We Go!

We're going camping today and I don't know who is more excited, Jon and I or the short people! Some of my happiest memories are of camping trips when I was a kid. We would tent camp most of the time but occasionally we'd hike in to some backwoods lake and just throw our sleeping bags on the ground. One time we were by a creek that fed into a lake. While we were sleeping a bear was getting a drink out of the creek not ten feet from us! Back then I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Now, I'd probably have a heart attack to think of a bear that close to my kids! My dad was a single dad and they just don't tend to think of stuff like that! :)

I've been reading a book about writing that Shannon loaned to me. One of the author's suggestions was to carry index cards with you wherever you go so you can take notes or jot down a thought when it strikes so I've packed several of them. Let's see if I remember to use them! We will be home on Monday afternoon and I'm hoping to blog Tuesday morning. I need to keep with writing something every day.

Until then I will be eating smores and grilled bananas* until my buttons pop! Hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend!

*If you've never had a grilled banana you are missing an essential in life! (Well, not if you hate bananas I suppose, but I digress!) Take an unpeeled banana and cut a triangle shaped wedge out of the center along the length. Eat or in some other way get rid of the chunk you cut out but keep the piece of peel. Fill the void with mini marshmallows, butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, walnuts or whatever else you can think of that will go well with banana and bad with your diet. Lay the peel over the top of your goodies and wrap the banana tightly in foil. Grill ten to 15 minutes (depending on how hot your fire is you may need to increase or decrease the time. I usually check the stuff in the middle. If it's gooey, it's done!) Try not to burn your lips off as you eat your gooey mess!

1 comment:

Bill & Glory said...

I hope your camping trip is/was exactly the refresher and revitalizer that you all needed. We want to go so very soon as well BUT if you saw our backyard you'd wonder why we'd want to leave. It definitely has hippie commune potential!

Glory