Monday, May 09, 2005

Directions...

I have a friend who is an excellent cook. When I know she's coming to a potluck I make sure I'm first in line to sample whatever diet unfriendly dish she's contributed. Baking however is another matter. Several years ago she decided to bake some cookies. She got her recipe, gathered her ingredients and set to work. When those cookies came out of the oven she couldn't wait to taste one. They looked perfect! When they were finally cool enough she bit into one of those golden brown beauties....and promptly spit it out! After reviewing all the steps she'd taken in mixing them up she realized that instead of putting in a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of salt, she had used a teaspoon of sugar and a cup of salt!

Tonight while doing our family devotions we were talking about following God's directions and I thought about those cookies. Sometimes I think I know what I'm doing. I guess I think I don't need the directions anymore so I do my own thing. And sometimes it even appears that I was right and everything looks great. But if you don't follow the directions no matter how good it looks at first, that cookie will taste nasty! Gotta love those family devotions; I think I learn more from them than they do!

I'm going to go eat one of the fresh snickerdoodles that I made today 'cause I did follow the directions and they are goooooood! :)

2 comments:

Kim said...

:) I think I'm going to go grab my reduced-fat Chips Ahoy cookies and fat free milk. haha
Love the post.

Fran said...

Yummy! lol